Medical Video: Dangers of e-cigarettes, vaping and JUULs: How to talk to kids
Lately, there has been a trend of vape sucking or e-cigarettes. Many people consider vape to be better than cigarettes or lighter than cigarettes, so it cannot cause significant health problems. But not necessarily that. Try to see if vape contains nicotine like ordinary cigarettes? Or, perhaps there are other contents in the vape that are more dangerous?
Vape does not contain nicotine, really?
You need to know that vape produces no smoke, but water vapor. Vape liquid (e-liquid) heated by the heating element in the vape then produces the water vapor you suck. However, the absence of smoke produced by this vape does not mean the vape does not contain nicotine.
The main component of e-cigarettes is liquid inside cartridge (tube). The liquid is made of nicotine which is extracted from tobacco and then mixed with basic ingredients, such as propylene glycol. Usually also added with flavorings, dyes and other chemicals.
Vape or electric cigarettes still contain nicotine and other dangerous chemicals. Nicotine is a substance that can cause addiction. Research has shown that exposure to nicotine can make the brain addicted to other compounds. In addition, the taste possessed by vape also contains carcinogens and toxic chemicals, such as formaldehyde and acetaldehyde. Also, containing toxic metals in the size of nanoparticles, this metal is produced from an evaporation mechanism.
READ ALSO: Nicotine Addiction: Why Can It Happen and How to Deal With It?
Almost all electric cigarettes contain nicotine, even some electric cigarette products that are claimed to be nicotine-free also contain nicotine. Tests conducted by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2009 found that cartridge those labeled free of nicotine actually contain nicotine. In addition, another study conducted in 2014 found that the amount of nicotine listed in a vape refill liquid package was different from the amount of nicotine contained in it.
So, be careful for those of you who like to smoke e-cigarettes or for those of you who just want to try it. Do not be too confident with the label that claims to be free of nicotine. Remember, the more nicotine in the e-cigarette liquid, the greater your risk for addiction.
What are the dangers of nicotine?
It has been mentioned above that nicotine causes you to become addicted. In addition, many health problems can be caused by nicotine.
- In pregnant women, exposure to nicotine during pregnancy can endanger the health of the fetus in the womb. This can have a long-term impact on the functioning of the brain and lungs of a developing baby. In addition, nicotine exposure can also cause babies to have low birth weight (LBW), preterm birth, stillbirth (stillbirth), and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
- In children and adolescents, nicotine exposure can have a negative impact on brain development. Young teens who have used e-cigarettes can experience cognitive and behavioral disorders, including having an impact on memory and attention. The effects of nicotine on the human brain can have long-term effects.
- Children or adults who swallow, breathe in, or absorb electronic cigarette liquid through their skin or eyes can experience poisoning. High doses of nicotine can cause poisoning. This occurs with symptoms of nausea, vomiting, seizures, and respiratory depression in severe cases of nicotine poisoning. Even ingested nicotine fluid can cause death, especially in children.
READ ALSO: Under 18 years have started smoking? This is the Impact
What is the level of nicotine in an e-cigarette liquid?
Usually nicotine levels in e-cigarette fluids are in units of mg / ml or milligrams per millimeter. For example, in one package of electric cigarette liquid, there is a description of nicotine of 12 mg, which means that the product contains 12 mg of nicotine in every milliliter of liquid. So, if the e-cigarette liquid amounts to 30 ml, then the nicotine content is 360 mg (30 x 12).
Or, there is also a description of nicotine levels in percent (%). This is actually the same as giving information in milligrams (mg). For example, if the packaging has a nicotine level of 2.4%, it's the same as 24 grams of nicotine. It's just that the way to read it is that every drop of e-cigarette liquid contains 2.4% nicotine.
Now you know how to read it. So, don't misinterpret nicotine levels in one bottle of e-cigarette liquid. Maybe you think the numbers are small, but don't forget to multiply per milliliter of liquid. So, if you add the numbers to a large number, right?
Electric cigarette liquid has been offered at various levels of nicotine content. Generally, starting from levels of 0-36 mg nicotine per ml of liquid or higher. Usually liquids with a nicotine content of 3.6% or 36 grams are the highest levels of nicotine content. The following is a sequence of nicotine levels that are common in e-cigarette liquids.
- The nicotine content is 0 mg, usually chosen by people who don't smoke. But remember, even though it is labeled 0 mg nicotine, it is not necessarily true that there is no nicotine in the liquid cigarette. Don't be lied to by labels.
- The content of nicotine is 8 mg, usually chosen by light smokers who usually smoke less than one pack a week. However, even though nicotine can make you addicted, so over time you will increase your nicotine dose.
- The content of nicotine is 16 mg, usually can be enjoyed by moderate smokers. The nicotine content in e-cigarette liquid is almost comparable with the nicotine level in ordinary cigarettes. So, smoking electrically with this dose is the same as you smoke. Not that you can practice to reduce smoking, but it can be the opposite.
- The nicotine content is 24 mg, usually enjoyed by heavy smokers who are used to smoking about one pack per day. This nicotine level is so strong that it can cause health problems for you.
- The content of nicotine is 36 mg, this is a very high level of nicotine. With just 24 mg of nicotine, it can cause health problems, especially if you choose e-cigarettes with this level. If your intention to use e-cigarettes is to stop smoking, maybe the selection of high nicotine levels is not suitable for you. It can only cause you to become more addicted to nicotine.
READ ALSO: Which is Better, Shisha or Electric Cigarette (Vape)?