Medical Video: Nucleus Obstetrics and Gynecology Demo (2010)
In layman's terms, obstetricians and gynecologists (commonly referred to as obgyn or SpOG) are often referred to as obstetricians. But did you know that both of them turned out differently? What is the difference? See the explanation in this article.
What is the difference between obstetrics and gynecology?
Obstetrics is a branch of medical science that specializes in studying pregnancy and childbirth. While gynecology is a branch of medical science that specializes in studying women's reproductive problems.
Even so, the two branches of science have a scope of work that is included in the two biggest health problems in women. Therefore, the specialization of these two branches of science is combined in one skill called the Obgyn. In Indonesia, a specialist in Obstetrics & Gynecology (SpOG), or better known as an obstetrician.
What is done by obstetricians?
During pregnancy, the obstetrician will carry out various examinations, including:
- Checking health conditions that could cause problems during pregnancy or affect a baby's health, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, risk of infection, or genetic disorders.
- Monitor the condition of your fetus, including routine USG tests.
- Provide advice on diet, exercise, and other healthy tips that suit your needs.
- Helps you overcome morning sickness, back and leg pain, and various other pregnancy complaints.
- Handling problems around the labor process and its complications, such as bleeding during or after labor, uterine rupture, sepsis, preterm birth, placental abruption, preeclampsia, and so on.
The frequency of visiting obstetricians is usually different for each woman. Because this depends on the advice of the doctor who handles your condition. However, usually the doctor will recommend his patients make regular visits every trimester.
What is done by a gynecologist?
Many women, adults and young people often complain of problems with their reproductive systems. Well, here is the role of gynecology specialists to help you. Expertgynecology will help you in diagnosing the health problems of the reproductive organs, examination, and treatment.
Some services that can be handled include:
- Mawrong associated with vulva and vagina such as vulvovaginitis and nonmenstrual bleeding, and vaginal discharge.
- Problems related to the ovaries and fallopian tubes likeendometriosis, PCOS, to cysts or tumors in the ovaries.
- Andtroublemenstrual tar, such as irregular menstruation, PMS that is very painful, until menopause.
When do you need to consult an obstetrician and gynecologist?
In addition to problems with pregnancy and female reproductive organs, you are advised to consult an obstetrician if:
- Have fertility problems and want to do a pregnancy program.
- Having a high-risk pregnancy, for example in pregnant women who have a history of diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Pregnancy in old age.
- Examination for premarital preparation.
- Pap smear examination.
Tips for choosing an obstetrician
As mentioned above, it is not only pregnant women who have to check their condition regularly to the obstetrician. The reason is, all women need to check their reproductive health regularly to the obstetrician. But no doubt, choosing an obstetrician is indeed not easy. Especially for those of you who just did it the first time. Here are some things you can consider before choosing an obstetrician:
- Find out first why you need to go to an obstetrician.
- Find out the testimonials and track record of the doctor you will choose.
- Adjust to your character.
- Don't forget, also pay attention to your ease and comfort when consulting.
In the end all depend on your satisfaction when consulting a doctor. That is why, if you feel uncomfortable or dissatisfied, don't hesitate to change doctors.