Medical Video: Worried About Carpal Tunnel? Try 3 Simple Stretches
Numbness or tingling in the arms and fingers is caused by presence carpal tunnel symptom (CTS) or carpal tunnel syndrome. The carpal aisle is a small tunnel along the wrist to the lower palm. Inside the carpal tunnel there is a median nerve that serves to convey sensation or touch and control the movement of the fingers. The median nerve pinched due to swelling and weight gain in a pregnant woman can trigger numbness or tingling in the thumb, index finger, middle finger and part of the ring finger.
Fortunately, the tingling sensation commonly experienced by pregnant women is still at a reasonable level. In general, this disorder begins to appear when the womb ages step on the fifth and sixth months or the last few months before labor.
To relieve numbness or tingling, you can try a few simple steps as follows:
- Compress the part that is experiencing numbness or tingling using cold compresses to reduce swelling and pain. Avoid hot compresses which can actually worsen swelling.
- Massage or soak your hands in a bowl of water given a few drops of herbal extract, such as olive oil, chamomile oil, lavender extract or coconut extract. In addition to relieving numbness and tingling, herbal extracts also make the body more relaxed.
- Do light exercise with a trained instructor. Even without an instructor, you can still exercise alone at home by doing some light daily movements. Treatment chiropractic on the wrist may be recommended in some cases.
Here are two types of light exercise to prevent numbness or tingling:
Purpose: To strengthen back muscles, relieve upper back pain, and reduce numbness or tingling sensation in the arms and fingers.
- Relax your arms and shrug your shoulders towards your ears.
- Pull your shoulders back as best you can.
- Relax your shoulders and return to the starting position.
Lie facing one side
- Try to always lie facing one side every time you sleep or rest.
- Pinch the pillow with both knees to minimize tension in the lower back.
- Avoid using hands instead of pillows when sleeping. Symptoms carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) usually worsens at night.
- Change sleeping position whenever you feel pain. Try to shake your hands until the pain or numbness decreases.
If possible, avoid work that requires the arm to repeat the same movement over a long period of time. Because, this movement can worsen numbness or tingling.
Try to sit with your arms raised, for example watching television while putting your hands behind the sofa.
Vitamin B6 supplements can help relieve symptoms, but you should still prioritize balanced nutritional intake rather than artificial supplements. Make sure you discuss with your doctor before taking supplements during pregnancy.
If the pain gets worse, the doctor may prescribe a mild painkiller. Numbness and swelling will usually disappear after the baby is born. Contact your doctor immediately if the pain continues to appear.